Meet Jodie Hill, Managing Director and Solicitor
I believe that everyone should be enabled to ‘Thrive’ in the workplace and at Thrive Law we’ll work with you to understand you or your business and offer the right solution in terms of employment law, mental health and well-being.
I qualified from Leeds Beckett University in 2009 with a 2.1 in Law. I trained as a barrister at BPP Law School the following year. In 2013 I cross qualified and became a solicitor.
Having specialised in employment law and mental health from a very early stage in my career, I have developed a significant understanding of this complex and ever-changing area of law, which impacts on both business owners and HR teams.
My personal experience as an employer and an employee and having advised both respondents and claimants in my capacity as a solicitor, gives me a broad and varied perspective on employment law and mental health. I also work very closely with Leeds MIND on a pro bono basis, particularly with their job retention team to help individuals with mental health problems to remain in employment.
I am currently campaigning to make Mental Health First Aiders compulsory in the workplace too, we have reached several thousand supporters and have gained national media exposure on Sky News, BBC, the Times, The Law Society Gazette, Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Legal amongst other media outlets. If you haven’t already you can join the campaign and sign our petition here
I’m proud to share that my work to date has led to a number of nominations for various awards including a nomination for Woman Lawyer of the Year and shortlisted for Gazette Legal Personality of the Year 2018 at The Law Society Excellence Awards 2018. I have also been honoured with a fellowship with the Royal Society for Public Health earlier this year in recognition of my work surrounding mental health.
I’m passionate about what I do and regularly run and speak at events on all areas of employment law and especially mental health in the workplace, disability discrimination and equal rights.
I also teach at Leeds Beckett University on the LPC as I want to help the next generation of law students ‘Thrive’
I have extensive experience dealing with both employers and employees, working in the following areas:
- Discipline and grievance procedures and disputes
- Managing long term sickness absences
- Unfair and constructive unfair dismissal claims
- Restructuring, redundancy and transfer of undertakings issues
- All forms of discrimination including disability, race, sex and religion age etc
- Employment contracts, handbooks and workplace policies
- Without Prejudice/ S111A negotiations and Settlement agreements
- Family friendly rights
- Wages and working time issues
- TUPE transfers
- Restructure and redundancy
- Managing mental health in the workplace
- Employment tribunal litigation including advocacy
- Employment Lawyers Association
- The Law Society
- Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health
- Women in the Law UK ambassador
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple